Blackheath Halls is an entertainment venue and concert hall in the heart of South East London.
Built in 1895 by William Webster, Blackheath Halls is part of the oldest surviving purpose built cultural complex in London. Blackheath Halls presents a diverse programme of concerts and events throughout the year including classical, folk, comedy nights, talks, literary events, exhibitions and childrens' theatre. The Halls also run a varied community engagement programme from choirs and orchestra through to community opera and childrens' opera.
As a wholly owned subsidiary of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance, the Halls also provide a regular base for large scale student rehearsals and performances including the annual Trinity Laban opera.
Originally used as a venue for concerts and public meetings. the Halls played host to some of the most famous musical performers and public speakers of the early 20th century including Sir Edward Elgar, Dame Clara Butt, Sir Ernest Shakleton, George Bernard Shaw as well as Suffragette rallies. The building was commandeered by the Royal Army Pay Corps during the First World War and again taken over by the Ministry of Works in 1939. Through the support of local businesses and the community, Blackheath Halls was saved from demolition in the 1980s and fully re-opened in 1991.
The Halls have 2 performance spaces. Take a virtual tour: